- Main Switchboard:
+1 (345) 949-3344
Chris specializes in investment funds, corporate and commercial, insurance, banking, regulatory and compliance.
Chris is the Managing Director of Stuarts. He joined in 2004 as one of the founding directors, from the London office of Kendall Freeman (now Locke Lord LLP), where he specialised in the financial services industry and regulatory related matters.
As head of the specialist investment funds team at Stuarts Walker Hersant Humphries, Chris is a recognised leader in his field with over 20 years’ experience and he has registered several hundred mutual funds with the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority and routinely advises on regulatory and compliance issues involving funds, investment managers and fund administrators.
Chris advises on the strategic restructuring of funds, the delay in redemption payments and other redemption restrictions as well as the use of side pockets or special purpose vehicles for illiquid assets and investor communications and disputes. Chris is an experienced independent director and sits on the board of several registered funds, private equity funds and investment vehicles.
Chris establishes investment managers and fund administrators in the Cayman Islands and advises on their respective regulatory regimes. He has extensive experience in all types of fund structures including master-feeder and fund of fund structures as well as the establishment of complex fund platforms using exempted companies and/or partnerships and the use of segregated portfolio companies.
Chris advises on the use of side letters as well as other class rights related issues. As listing agent to the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange ("CSX") Chris has listed several investment funds on the CSX.
Chris heads the digital, blockchain and fintech team and advises funds focusing on blockchain technology, bitcoin or other crypto-currency strategies; and has a wide range of experience with corporate and commercial transactions for private and listed clients, including mergers, acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, corporate finance, commercial agreements and insurance securitizations.
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Grand Court of the Cayman Islands
- Supreme Court of the British Virgin Islands
- University of London
- College of Law
- The Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association
- Legal 500: Chris is a recommended lawyer in Legal 500 in the Investment Fund and Corporate & Commercial divisions. He is noted as being, "excellent, responds quickly and knows all aspects of the fund industry."
- Chambers & Partners: Chris is a recommended lawyer in Chambers & Partners in the Investment Fund and Corporate & Commercial divisions. Chris has extensive experience of commercial and corporate legal work. A source said: "His level of responsiveness is very high and his business acumen is excellent. He provides good advice with a solid business perspective."
- Chambers & Partners:Chris Humphries is managing director of the firm and described by sources as "very responsive and tremendously accessible." He is further praised for his "superb legal skills." He frequently advises on fund regulatory and compliance issues.
- HFM Week Cayman Report (2017) - Cayman Islands Funds Industry Update
- Getting the Deal Through - Private Equity 2017 - Fund Formation and Transactions - Click here to request a copy
- Hedgeweek - Cayman Cayman Islands Hedge Fund Services 2017 - Cayman Islands Compliance and Transparency
- The American Lawyer Offshore (October 2016) - Changing the Terms of a Fund Offering Under Cayman Islands Law
- HFM Week Cayman Report (2016) - Cayman Islands Funds Industry Update
- Getting the Deal Through - Private Equity 2016 - Fund Formation and Transactions - Click here to request a copy
- Hedgeweek Cayman Report (2016) - Cayman Islands Funds
- HFM Week Cayman Report (2015)- Cayman Funds - Click here to view
- Getting the Deal Through - Private Equity 2015 - Fund Formation and Transactions - Click here to request a copy
- Getting the Deal Through - Private Equity 2014 - Fund Formation and Transactions
- Hedgeweek Cayman Report (2014) - Cayman Islands Funds - Click here to view
- HFM Week Cayman Report (2013)- Side Letters in the Cayman Islands - Click here to view