- Main Switchboard:
+1 (345) 949-3344
Investment & Hedge Fund Formation
About the Investment Funds Team
Stuarts Walker Hersant Humphries is a leading provider of legal services to investment funds and has an experienced team of corporate and commercial lawyers who offer world-class and in-depth market knowledge, understanding and expertise in relation to the investment funds market. Our Investment Funds Team, (which includes recognised leaders in their field) provides offshore legal advice on fund formation, structures, regulation, de-registration, liquidation and on-going advice to both investment funds and managers.
The Cayman Islands is the leading offshore centre for the establishment of institutional and hedge funds. There are currently approximately 10,586 open-ended, regulated funds registered with the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority.
Watch our Investment Funds team video here:
Fund Launch Services
Our Investment Funds Team in Cayman is a market leader in advising managers on the set-up and establishment of a broad range of investment funds in Cayman, including hedge funds, real estate funds, private equity funds and funds focusing on bitcoin or other crypto-currency strategies. Our specialist expertise covers the provision of legal advice on the structuring of the fund vehicle itself including:
- Development of the fund legal structure and formation issues of the fund vehicles including multi-class/series funds and master/feeder funds
- Liaison and coordination with legal counsel and regulators
- Obtaining regulatory approvals
- Advising clients who utilise a wide variety of investment strategies including those who focus on cryptocurrencies (such as bitcoin, ethereum, litecoin, etc.)
- Advising clients on the use of blockchain technology and smart contracts in the operation of their funds
- Listing investment funds on the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange ("CSX")
Distressed Funds Services
Our Distressed Funds Team has been instructed in connection with many of the largest fund insolvency events in the Cayman Islands and the services offered include:
- Advising funds and their directors on winding down or restructuring funds' affairs and the use of side pockets
- Advising on the deregistration and liquidation of a broad range of investment funds
- Advising on disputes between funds and investors on subscription terms and the interpretation of side letters
- Acting for funds and service providers on NAV mis-pricing cases, claims against directors and audit negligence disputes
- Acting for leverage providers and counter-parties to distressed funds
Stuarts is a recognised listing agent for the CSX and our lawyers are regularly involved in the listing of mutual funds on the CSX.
Our Investment Funds Team also advises on all legal aspects affecting the continuing operations of investment funds, including specialist advice on investment fund management as well as contentious issues.
Click here to read our Investment Funds overview factsheet